Monday, June 28, 2010

Importance of Identity

Today is my 4th day of tagging in Ortho. I woke up earlier today so I can review more patients. Not because I wanna do more... It's because I'm too slow in reviewing patients. It's a silent day for ortho ward today, there's just 2-3 referral cases in other wards. I only went to see a new born baby with query Erb's palsy and spent most of my time copying and writing my homework... YES! we do have homework though we are working. I'd to write out all the case and progress of all patients in ward and I'm going to get OA for my right metacarpal joints.

There's nothing much to do in ortho ward today, unlike Susan who was rushing here n there in the ward opposite of mine. While I was happily watching the clock to strike to 9pm, there's a new admission from A&E. An Indian lady sustained bilateral forearm fracture on a motor-vehicle accident. After reading her x-ray, 2 HOs and I approached her. She was apparently surrounded by a 'kampung' of relatives who are concerned on her condition.

Without further delay, I started to talk to her and asked her a few questions regarding how she get involved in the MVA. Then suddenly a lady (I supposed she's her mum) stop her from answering my questions. The 'mum' questioned me rudely:" Who are you? Why are you taking report? Who are you representing????"

My colleagues and I were shocked and staring at her. Why were these questions were questioned to us? We're wearing white coats and it's very obvious that who we are. Then I answered her:" I'm a doctor. Oh! Sorry, three of us are doctors. I'm sorry I didn't introduce myself." Then I reintroduce myself and continue with my clerking.

For my UKM juniors out there, please remember your PPD. I'm so sorry to my fellow lecturers who thought us how to be professional. Now I understand how important it is for me to remember to introduce myself. Well, after all, I still feel weird when people add the title in front of my name...

2 comments:

  1. Haha is this your embarassing episode that you're trying to tell me? ;p haha. always start with "Hello my name is XXX, I'm the doctor ..." then you don't really have to add a title in front of your name :P You can even go "Hi, my name is Lou Jiong (hehe you know what I mean :P) I'm one of the junior doctors in orthopaedics"

    ReplyDelete